Earthquake relief efforts: Dr Baloch renews call for foreign aid

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 3:30:14 by



ISLAMABAD / QUETTA: 

Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch has pleaded that in the days ahead, the most difficult period would be the rehabilitation process of earthquake victims for which international assistance, mainly from the United Nations, was needed. He said this while talking to journalists at the Chief Minister Secretariat on Tuesday afternoon after his return from Awaran.

The CM informed that the distribution of relief goods since the past 48 hours had been unhindered following his crucial talks with certain militant groups in Mashkey, some of whom he was personally familiar with.

Initially, militants had demanded that they distribute relief goods in the district, a demand that was turned down by the provincial government. However, the CM said he had convinced the militants that the local administration will carry out the task.

He said that he has taken a tough stand against possible leakage of relief goods to the Quetta market.

Dr Malik Baloch has also categorically declared that his government would register criminal cases under the Anti Terrorism Act if anyone was found pilfering relief goods.

He explained that the helicopter service had been suspended following the opening of roads that had been blocked due to landslides.

Referring to incidents of violence in Teer Tej, he said representatives of the government had visited the locals and solved the matter.

NDMA efforts

The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has not reported any new fatalities from Balochistan earthquake and has expressed satisfaction over relief work. Authorities have put the death toll at 375, while 825 people have been reportedly injured.

NDMA Chairman Saleem Aleem, along with National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) Chairman Tariq Malik and Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Resources Jam Kamal Khan, visited Awaran on Tuesday to review relief efforts in the district.

“The visit was aimed at ascertaining losses and damages to lives, property and livelihood and also to monitor the rescue and relief activities in the affected areas,” the NDMA spokesperson said.

“The delegation discussed arrangements which are to be made to undertake rapid assessment survey in the affected areas and plans for early recovery of services and livelihood,” the spokesperson said.

Authorities said 1,758 food packs were en route to affected areas while the provincial disaster management authorities of Balochistan and Punjab had provided 5,726 and 7,958 packets of ration respectively.

Meanwhile, the Sindh PDMA had supplied 2,200 packets while Pakistan Army and Navy had distributed 1,697 and 210 packets of food to earthquake survivors respectively.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 2nd, 2013.



Quetta News Sources -2

Tags: , , , , , ,

Short URL: http://quetta.newspakistan.pk/?p=7120

Posted by on Oct 2 2013. Filed under Latest News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply


Earthquake relief efforts: Dr Baloch renews call for foreign aid

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 3:30:14 by



ISLAMABAD / QUETTA: 

Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch has pleaded that in the days ahead, the most difficult period would be the rehabilitation process of earthquake victims for which international assistance, mainly from the United Nations, was needed. He said this while talking to journalists at the Chief Minister Secretariat on Tuesday afternoon after his return from Awaran.

The CM informed that the distribution of relief goods since the past 48 hours had been unhindered following his crucial talks with certain militant groups in Mashkey, some of whom he was personally familiar with.

Initially, militants had demanded that they distribute relief goods in the district, a demand that was turned down by the provincial government. However, the CM said he had convinced the militants that the local administration will carry out the task.

He said that he has taken a tough stand against possible leakage of relief goods to the Quetta market.

Dr Malik Baloch has also categorically declared that his government would register criminal cases under the Anti Terrorism Act if anyone was found pilfering relief goods.

He explained that the helicopter service had been suspended following the opening of roads that had been blocked due to landslides.

Referring to incidents of violence in Teer Tej, he said representatives of the government had visited the locals and solved the matter.

NDMA efforts

The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has not reported any new fatalities from Balochistan earthquake and has expressed satisfaction over relief work. Authorities have put the death toll at 375, while 825 people have been reportedly injured.

NDMA Chairman Saleem Aleem, along with National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) Chairman Tariq Malik and Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Resources Jam Kamal Khan, visited Awaran on Tuesday to review relief efforts in the district.

“The visit was aimed at ascertaining losses and damages to lives, property and livelihood and also to monitor the rescue and relief activities in the affected areas,” the NDMA spokesperson said.

“The delegation discussed arrangements which are to be made to undertake rapid assessment survey in the affected areas and plans for early recovery of services and livelihood,” the spokesperson said.

Authorities said 1,758 food packs were en route to affected areas while the provincial disaster management authorities of Balochistan and Punjab had provided 5,726 and 7,958 packets of ration respectively.

Meanwhile, the Sindh PDMA had supplied 2,200 packets while Pakistan Army and Navy had distributed 1,697 and 210 packets of food to earthquake survivors respectively.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 2nd, 2013.



Quetta News Sources -2

Tags: , , , , , ,

Short URL: http://quetta.newspakistan.pk/?p=7121

Posted by on Oct 2 2013. Filed under Latest News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply


Earthquake relief efforts: Dr Baloch renews call for foreign aid

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 3:30:12 by
Tweet



ISLAMABAD / QUETTA: 

Balochistan Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch has pleaded that in the days ahead, the most difficult period would be the rehabilitation process of earthquake victims for which international assistance, mainly from the United Nations, was needed. He said this while talking to journalists at the Chief Minister Secretariat on Tuesday afternoon after his return from Awaran.

The CM informed that the distribution of relief goods since the past 48 hours had been unhindered following his crucial talks with certain militant groups in Mashkey, some of whom he was personally familiar with.

Initially, militants had demanded that they distribute relief goods in the district, a demand that was turned down by the provincial government. However, the CM said he had convinced the militants that the local administration will carry out the task.

He said that he has taken a tough stand against possible leakage of relief goods to the Quetta market.

Dr Malik Baloch has also categorically declared that his government would register criminal cases under the Anti Terrorism Act if anyone was found pilfering relief goods.

He explained that the helicopter service had been suspended following the opening of roads that had been blocked due to landslides.

Referring to incidents of violence in Teer Tej, he said representatives of the government had visited the locals and solved the matter.

NDMA efforts

The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has not reported any new fatalities from Balochistan earthquake and has expressed satisfaction over relief work. Authorities have put the death toll at 375, while 825 people have been reportedly injured.

NDMA Chairman Saleem Aleem, along with National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) Chairman Tariq Malik and Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Resources Jam Kamal Khan, visited Awaran on Tuesday to review relief efforts in the district.

“The visit was aimed at ascertaining losses and damages to lives, property and livelihood and also to monitor the rescue and relief activities in the affected areas,” the NDMA spokesperson said.

“The delegation discussed arrangements which are to be made to undertake rapid assessment survey in the affected areas and plans for early recovery of services and livelihood,” the spokesperson said.

Authorities said 1,758 food packs were en route to affected areas while the provincial disaster management authorities of Balochistan and Punjab had provided 5,726 and 7,958 packets of ration respectively.

Meanwhile, the Sindh PDMA had supplied 2,200 packets while Pakistan Army and Navy had distributed 1,697 and 210 packets of food to earthquake survivors respectively.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 2nd, 2013.



Quetta News Sources -2

Tags: , , , , , ,

Short URL: http://quetta.newspakistan.pk/?p=7119

Posted by on Oct 2 2013. Filed under Latest News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply


Recent Entries

Featured Links

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google
Groupin.pk Deals
Log in